Tramonti (SA)
Tramonti is a town and comune
In Italy, the comune is the basic administrative division, and may be properly approximated in casual speech by the English word township or municipality.-Importance and function:...

in the province of Salerno
Province of Salerno
The Province of Salerno is a province in the Campania region of Italy.-Geography:The largest towns in the province are: Salerno, the capital, which has a population of 139,579; Cava de' Tirreni with a population of 53,488; Battipaglia with a population of 51,115; and Nocera Inferiore which has a...

 in the Campania
Campania is a region in southern Italy. The region has a population of around 5.8 million people, making it the second-most-populous region of Italy; its total area of 13,590 km² makes it the most densely populated region in the country...

 region of south-western Italy
Italy , officially the Italian Republic languages]] under the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages. In each of these, Italy's official name is as follows:;;;;;;;;), is a unitary parliamentary republic in South-Central Europe. To the north it borders France, Switzerland, Austria and...

. It is located in the territory of the Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
-In popular culture:The Amalfi Coast is a popular destination among tourists. It was featured in "Positano," a short story written by American author John Steinbeck in 1953...



Tramonti, loosely translated as "in the mountains" is located along Via Chuinzi which leads to Maiori
Maiori is a town and comune on the Amalfi coast in the province of Salerno...

 and the Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
-In popular culture:The Amalfi Coast is a popular destination among tourists. It was featured in "Positano," a short story written by American author John Steinbeck in 1953...

. The town is bordered by Cava de' Tirreni
Cava de' Tirreni
Cava de’ Tirreni is a city and comune in the region of Campania, Italy, in the province of Salerno, 10 km northwest of the town of Salerno...

, Corbara
Corbara is a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of south-western Italy....

, Lettere
Lettere is a comune in the Province of Naples in the Italian region Campania, located about 30 km southeast of Naples. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 5,917 and an area of 12.0 km²....

, Maiori
Maiori is a town and comune on the Amalfi coast in the province of Salerno...

, Nocera Inferiore
Nocera Inferiore
Nocera Inferiore, formerly Nocera dei Pagani, is a town and comune in Campania, Italy, in the province of Salerno, at the foot of Monte Albino, 20 km east-south-east of Naples by rail.-History:...

, Nocera Superiore
Nocera Superiore
Nocera Superiore is a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of south-western Italy.-History:It was an Etruscan city, founded around the 7th century BC...

, Pagani
Pagani Automobili S.p.A. is an Italian manufacturer of sports cars and carbon fibre. The company was founded in 1992 by Horacio Pagani, and is based in San Cesario sul Panaro, near Modena, Italy.-History:...

, Ravello
Ravello is a town and comune situated above the Amalfi Coast in the province of Salerno, Campania, southern Italy, with has approximately 2,500 inhabitants. It is a popular tourist destination.-History:...

 and Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino
Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino
Sant'Egidio del Monte Albino is a town and comune in the province of Salerno in the Campania region of southern Italy. It is commonly known also in the abbreviated name of Sant'Egidio Montalbino.-Geography:...



Tramonti was an important town of the Maritime Republic of Amalfi
Amalfi is a town and comune in the province of Salerno, in the region of Campania, Italy, on the Gulf of Salerno, c. 35 km southeast of Naples. It lies at the mouth of a deep ravine, at the foot of Monte Cerreto , surrounded by dramatic cliffs and coastal scenery...

, an important trading power in the Mediterranean between 839 and around 1200.


Cappella Rupestre, Chapel in the Rock, in Gete section of Tramonti. Church dating from the late thirteenth century inserted in a slight hollow of the rock. Noteworthy are the tombs cut into the rocky side.

Chiesa dell'Ascensione, Church of the Ascension, On the site called the "pumice", there is the Church of the Ascension with the adjacent bell tower.
A single nave covered by a barrel vault, the Church has side chapels and the bell tower has a square base and four storys, the first of which dug into the rock and the last ending in octagonal pyramid.

Chiesa di S. Elia, Church of St. Elia, In the S. Elia section of Tramonti
the church has an elegantly carved lava stone portal but, at present, partly walled. The interior has three aisles and traces of frescoes. The bell tower, a square with alternating single and double windows on four sides, is surmounted by an octagonal drum ending a truncated pyramid. At one time there was a baptismal fountain of white marble with an inscription, the date 1548 and the arms of Tramonti, consisting of a shield with three hills topped by a half moon.

Chiesa di S. Giovanni, Church of St. John, in the Polvica section of Tramonti prominently displays a plaque commemorating King Ferdinand I of Naples
Ferdinand I of Naples
Ferdinand I , also called Don Ferrante, was the King of Naples from 1458 to 1494. He was the natural son of Alfonso V of Aragon by Giraldona Carlino.-Biography:...

, who sought refuge in Tramonti in 1460 where he was welcomed. The king, in gratitude, rewarded the people with many privileges and with the title of uomini nobili "noble men".

Chiesa di Pietro Apostolo, Church St. Peter Apostle, in the Figline section of Tramonti. The interior of the church is designed in Baroque style. The painted tile floor is particularly noteworthy.

Chiesa di S. Erasmo, Church St. Erasmo, in the Pucara section of Tramonti. Of particular interest is the Church of St. Erasmo in Pucara. Rebuilt in 1412 and 1533 on the ruins of the ancient Church of St. Sebastiano. The portal consists of two fluted columns and finely worked at the base, resting on tall pedestals decorated, one of which bears the engraved date of 1500. The interior has a Latin cross plan. The transept leads to a room that belonged to the congregation and served as a burial place, where the dead were put down on a rough stone bench, with a hole in the center, which is still visible, and then buried. Inside are several well-preserved paintings of the school of Luca Giordano
Luca Giordano
Luca Giordano was an Italian late Baroque painter and printmaker in etching. Fluent and decorative, he worked successfully in Naples and Rome, Florence and Venice, before spending a decade in Spain....


The Castle of Santa Maria La Nova It was built around 1457 by Raymond Orsini, Prince of Salerno and overlord of the Duchy of Amalfi.
A rectangular base was fortified by ten small square towers and seven ramparts, only some of which still stands. CIt included large houses, stables, rainwater tanks and prisons. In the castle there was a small church dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. Subsequently within its walls was built the Church of St. Maria la Nova. Maria la Nova for a long time was the parish church of the town of Tramonti. Currently in the walls of the castle lies the cemetery.

It was founded in 1474,and was commissioned by Matthew D'Angelo di Tramonti, who directed in his will that his assets were used to build a monastery in honor of St. Francesco o di S. Francis or St. Domenico. Domenico. The monastery, a vast, three-storey cloister with a large, recently renovated, has undergone over the centuries, various transformations. The first, right, holds the mortal remains of Ambrose Romano of Tramonti, a man of great culture, bishop of Minori in 1509, the second left, contains the body of Martin De Majo, archpriest of Tramonti, elected bishop of the Bisaccia 1475 and Bishop of Bisceglie, in 1487. Both sides of the aisle, there are three altars. Entering on the right, there is a niche with a statue of St. Gerard. The following are three altars with a beautiful statue of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, the marble triptych depicting S. Stephen S. Anthony the Abbot and St. Valentine, and the statue of the triptych, together with the bas-relief depicting the Annunciation, which is located on top of it, perhaps belonged to the ancient church of St. Stephen, which was destroyed. To the left of the entrance, in the niches of the three altars are, respectively, the statues of St. Joseph, Immaculate Conception and St. Anthony. At the center, above, on the high altar, there is the marble throne of St. Francis. The sides of the center you can admire the frescoes of S. Giovanni da Capestrano e di S. Giovanni da Capistrano and San Leonardo da Portomaurizio. Under the arch that divides the remainder by the apse of the church is located, the Eucharistic table flanked the pulpit and a big pile of marble, which acts as a baptistery. For the centenary of the death of St. Francis, in 1926 were done extensive work with the complete rebuilding of the church roof and ceiling, which was enriched with frescoes, niches, and decorated by Raffaele Severino. The frescoes represent: the death of St. Chiara, the indulgence of Porziungola, the death of St. Francis. Above the entrance of the church is a beautiful wooden choir of 1700, which was built for the service to the monks, it is accessed from the third corridor of the monastery at the heart of it, in 1926, organ with two keyboards was installed . Adjacent to the church is a hall, ancient seat of the Brotherhood of St. Francis, where you can admire a fresco of good quality art, depicting the stigmata the saint.
Monastery of St. JOSEPH AND St. TERESA

The monastery of St. Joseph and St. Teresa was originally the Conservatory and was commissioned by Francis Anthony Ricca who directed in his will, executed in 1624 and kept in the Archbishop of Amalfi, which his three sons died without heirs, his legacy were to establish a conservatory to accommodate children in the area.

The construction of the Conservatory, which was named after St. Joseph, in memory of the last son of Francis Anthony Ricca, began in 1662 and, after many difficulties and disagreements between managers and civil and religious authorities, was inaugurated on the 8th of December 1723.

Governors were entrusted with the administration economic, religious authority, however, it was everything about the spiritual life.

Thanks to the work of the sisters, the Conservatory became religious house and took the name of "Monastery of St. Joseph and St. Teresa."

The monastery was visited several times by St. Alfonso, who remained with the nuns also contact by letter. In 1900, for the economic difficulties that came to be, the nuns left the monastery. Here they prepared for the first time "concerto", a liqueur made of herbs and barley, typical of Tramonti.

Today, the building of the Conservatory, with its beautiful church attached, is, unfortunately, in a state of complete abandonment.

External links

The source of this article is wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.  The text of this article is licensed under the GFDL.