The Space Coast is a region in the U.S. state
A U.S. state is any one of the 50 federated states of the United States of America that share sovereignty with the federal government. Because of this shared sovereignty, an American is a citizen both of the federal entity and of his or her state of domicile. Four states use the official title of...
Florida is a state in the southeastern United States, located on the nation's Atlantic and Gulf coasts. It is bordered to the west by the Gulf of Mexico, to the north by Alabama and Georgia and to the east by the Atlantic Ocean. With a population of 18,801,310 as measured by the 2010 census, it...
around Kennedy Space Center
Kennedy Space Center
The John F. Kennedy Space Center is the NASA installation that has been the launch site for every United States human space flight since 1968. Although such flights are currently on hiatus, KSC continues to manage and operate unmanned rocket launch facilities for America's civilian space program...
(KSC), where NASA
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration is the agency of the United States government that is responsible for the nation's civilian space program and for aeronautics and aerospace research...
launched space shuttles
The Space Shuttle was a manned orbital rocket and spacecraft system operated by NASA on 135 missions from 1981 to 2011. The system combined rocket launch, orbital spacecraft, and re-entry spaceplane with modular add-ons...
until the last one on July 8th, 2011 at 11:29am; and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station
Cape Canaveral Air Force Station
Cape Canaveral Air Force Station is an installation of the United States Air Force Space Command's 45th Space Wing, headquartered at nearby Patrick Air Force Base. Located on Cape Canaveral in the state of Florida, CCAFS is the primary launch head of America's Eastern Range with four launch pads...
, site of unmanned civilian and military space launches. Cities in the area include Titusville
Titusville is a city in Brevard County, Florida in the United States. It is the county seat of Brevard County. Nicknamed Space City, USA, Titusville is on the Indian River, west of Merritt Island and the Kennedy Space Center and south-southwest of the Canaveral National Seashore...
Cocoa is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The population was 16,412 at the 2000 census. As of 2008, the estimated population according to the U.S. Census Bureau was 16,478. It is part of the Palm Bay–Melbourne–Titusville Metropolitan Statistical Area.-History:Cocoa was...
Rockledge is the oldest city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The population was 20,170 at the 2000 census. As of 2008, the estimated population according to the U.S. Census Bureau is 24,747. It is part of the Palm Bay–Melbourne–Titusville Metropolitan Statistical...
, Cape Canaveral
Cape Canaveral, Florida
Cape Canaveral is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The population was 8,829 at the 2000 census. As of 2008, the estimated population according to the U.S. Census Bureau was 10,147...
, Merritt Island (unincorporated), Cocoa Beach
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Cocoa Beach is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The population was 12,482 at the 2000 census. According to the U.S. Census Bureau estimates of 2008, the city had a population of 11,920...
Melbourne is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. As of 2009, the population estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau is 78,323. The municipal area is the second largest by size and by population in the county. Melbourne is a principal city of the Palm Bay – Melbourne – Titusville, Florida...
and Palm Bay
Palm Bay, Florida
Palm Bay is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The U.S. Census Bureau estimated the city's population as 100,786 on 1 July 2008; it is the most populous city in the county...
. Most of the area lies within Brevard County
Brevard County, Florida
Brevard County is a county located in the U.S. state of Florida, along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. As of 2007 U.S. Census Bureau estimates, the population is 536,521, making it the 10th most populous county in the state. Influenced by the presence of the John F. Kennedy Space Center, Brevard...
. It is bounded on the south by the Treasure Coast
The Treasure Coast is a region in the U.S. state of Florida, generally considered to include Indian River, St. Lucie, and Martin counties. The area stretches from Hobe Sound in the south to north of Sebastian in the north and includes the cities of Stuart, Port St. Lucie, Fort Pierce, and Vero Beach...
. It is bounded on the west and north by Central Florida
Central Florida is a regional designation for the area surrounding Orlando in east central Florida, United States. The area represents the third largest population concentration in Florida, after the South Florida and Tampa Bay regions, respectively....
and is economically tied to that region. It is bounded on the east by the Atlantic Ocean
The Atlantic Ocean is the second-largest of the world's oceanic divisions. With a total area of about , it covers approximately 20% of the Earth's surface and about 26% of its water surface area...
The Space Coast area codeOnce the area became too large to be served by one area code, a local resident discovered that area code 321
Area code 321
Area code 321 is the area code serving Brevard County, Florida. The area code has been in use since November 1, 1999; it was assigned to the area, instead of suburban Chicago, after a successful petition led by local resident Robert Osband to commemorate the Space Coast's impact on the county. The...
was not assigned to any other territory (though it was being considered for the suburban Chicago area).
If each number is pronounced individually – "3, 2, 1"; the pronunciation resembles the countdown before liftoff; thus, the resident petitioned for the code to be assigned to the Space Coast region. His efforts were popular among local residents and resulted in success; the new code became effective on November 1, 1999.
InfrastructureTransportation is coordinated by the Space Coast Transportation Planning
Transportation planning is a field involved with the evaluation, assessment, design and siting of transportation facilities .-Models and Sustainability :...
- Space Coast Regional AirportSpace Coast Regional AirportSpace Coast Regional Airport is located in the city of Titusville, Florida on Columbia Boulevard and Washington Avenue in Brevard County. Formerly known as Ti-Co Airport, it is the nearest commercial airport to the Kennedy Space Center.- History :In 1943, the U.S. Government constructed the...
Space-named landmarks (outside KSC and Cape Canaveral Air Force Station)
- Alan ShepardAlan ShepardAlan Bartlett Shepard, Jr. was an American naval aviator, test pilot, flag officer, and NASA astronaut who in 1961 became the second person, and the first American, in space. This Mercury flight was designed to enter space, but not to achieve orbit...
Park, Cocoa Beach
- Apollo Boulevard, Melbourne
- Apollo Elementary School, Titusville
- Armstrong Drive, Titusville
- Astronaut Boulevard, Cape Canaveral
- Astronaut High SchoolAstronaut High SchoolAstronaut High School is located in Brevard County, in the city of Titusville, Florida, USA. It is part of the Brevard County School District. The school name comes from its location, near the Kennedy Space Center. The school was built in 1972...
- Atlantis Elementary School, Port St. John
- Challenger Memorial Parkway, (State Road 407), Titusville
- Challenger 7 Elementary School, Port St. John
- Chaffee Drive, Titusville
- Christa McAuliffe drawbridgeBascule bridgeA bascule bridge is a moveable bridge with a counterweight that continuously balances the span, or "leaf," throughout the entire upward swing in providing clearance for boat traffic....
, Merritt Island
- Christa McAuliffe Elementary School, Palm Bay
- Columbia Boulevard (State Road 405), Titusville
- Columbia Elementary School, Palm Bay
- Columbia Village, Melbourne (Florida Institute of TechnologyFlorida Institute of TechnologyFlorida Institute of Technology, also known as Florida Tech, is an independent private technical research university located in Melbourne, Florida, United States. Founded in 1958 as Brevard Engineering College, the institute has been known by its present name since 1966. Florida Tech's curriculum...
- Discovery Elementary School, Palm Bay
- Endeavour Elementary Magnet schoolMagnet schoolIn education in the United States, magnet schools are public schools with specialized courses or curricula. "Magnet" refers to how the schools draw students from across the normal boundaries defined by authorities as school zones that feed into certain schools.There are magnet schools at the...
- Enterprise Elementary School, Cocoa
- Freedom 7 Elementary School, Cocoa Beach
- Gemini Elementary School, Melbourne Beach
- Grissom Parkway, Cocoa
- I Dream Of JeannieI Dream of JeannieI Dream of Jeannie is a 1960s American sitcom with a fantasy premise. The show starred Barbara Eden as a 2,000-year-old genie, and Larry Hagman as an astronaut who becomes her master, with whom she falls in love and eventually marries...
Drive, Cocoa Beach
- John F. Kennedy Middle School, Rockledge
- Jupiter Boulevard, Palm Bay
- Jupiter Elementary School, Palm Bay
- Kennedy Point Park, Titusville
- Ronald McNair Middle Magnet School, Rockledge
- MILA Elementary School, Merritt Island
- Minutemen Causeway, Cocoa Beach
- NASA Boulevard (State Road 508), Melbourne
- Satellite Beach, FloridaSatellite Beach, FloridaSatellite Beach is a city in Brevard County, Florida, United States. The population was 9,577 at the 2000 census. As of 2005, the population estimated by the U.S. Census Bureau is 9,811. It is part of the Palm Bay–Melbourne–Titusville Metropolitan Statistical Area...
- Satellite Boulevard, Cocoa
- Satellite High SchoolSatellite High SchoolSatellite High School is a public high school located in Satellite Beach, Florida in Florida's Space Coast, Brevard County. It was founded in 1962, and has been rated an 'A' school in the state of Florida for the past four years. The 2007 - 2008 enrollment for Satellite was 1,414 students...
, Satellite Beach
- Saturn Elementary School, Cocoa
- Shepard Drive, Titusville
- Space Coast Academy, Melbourne
- Space Coast Jr./Sr. High SchoolSpace Coast Jr./Sr. High SchoolSpace Coast Jr./Sr.High School is located in Brevard County, Florida, in the community of Port St. John, Florida, USA. It is part of the Brevard County School District. The school name comes from its location, on the Space Coast...
- Space Coast StadiumSpace Coast StadiumSpace Coast Stadium is a baseball stadium that was completed prior to the 1994 season as part of a plan to bring spring training for the Florida Marlins to Viera, Florida....
, Viera, FloridaViera, FloridaViera is a master planned community located in the central coastal region of Brevard County, Florida. It is part of an unincorporated section adjacent to the Melbourne, Florida area.-Geography:...
- Space Coast Surge, a member of the Florida Winter Baseball League played out of Cocoa in 2009
- Space View Park, Titusville
- White Drive, Titusville
- Space Coast Wiki - a community wiki for the Space Coast.