Production engineering is a combination of manufacturing
Manufacturing is the use of machines, tools and labor to produce goods for use or sale. The term may refer to a range of human activity, from handicraft to high tech, but is most commonly applied to industrial production, in which raw materials are transformed into finished goods on a large scale...
technology with management science. A production engineer typically has a wide knowledge of engineering
Engineering is the discipline, art, skill and profession of acquiring and applying scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes that safely realize improvements to the lives of...
practices and is aware of the management challenges related to production. The goal is to accomplish the production process in the smoothest, most-judicious and most-economic way.
Production engineering encompasses the application of castings, joining processes
Joinery may refer to:* Woodworking joints or other types of mechanical joints * The work of the joiner, the fabrication and installation of fittings in buildings with materials such as wood and aluminum * In Australia and New Zealand, a joinery is also the generic term for a business which...
, metal cutting & tool design, metrology
Metrology is the science of measurement. Metrology includes all theoretical and practical aspects of measurement. The word comes from Greek μέτρον , "measure" + "λόγος" , amongst others meaning "speech, oration, discourse, quote, study, calculation, reason"...
, machine tools, machining
Conventional machining is a form of subtractive manufacturing, in which a collection of material-working processes utilizing power-driven machine tools, such as saws, lathes, milling machines, and drill presses, are used with a sharp cutting tool to physical remove material to achieve a desired...
Automation is the use of control systems and information technologies to reduce the need for human work in the production of goods and services. In the scope of industrialization, automation is a step beyond mechanization...
, jigs and fixtures, and die and mould design. Production engineering also overlaps substantially with manufacturing engineering
Manufacturing engineering is a field dealing with different manufacturing practices and the research and development of processes, machines and equipment.-Overview:...
and industrial engineering
Industrial engineering is a branch of engineering dealing with the optimization of complex processes or systems. It is concerned with the development, improvement, implementation and evaluation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials, analysis...
Industry refers to the production of an economic good or service within an economy.-Industrial sectors:There are four key industrial economic sectors: the primary sector, largely raw material extraction industries such as mining and farming; the secondary sector, involving refining, construction,...
, once the design is realized, production engineering concepts regarding work-study, ergonomics
Ergonomics is the study of designing equipment and devices that fit the human body, its movements, and its cognitive abilities.The International Ergonomics Association defines ergonomics as follows:...
, operation research, manufacturing management, materials management
Materials management can deal with campus planning and building design for the movement of materials, or with logistics that deal with the tangible components of a supply chain...
, production planning, etc., play important roles in efficient production processes. These deal with integrated design
Integrated design is a collaborative method for designing buildings which emphasizes the development of a holistic design.Conventional building design usually involves a series of hand-offs from owner to architect, from builder to occupant...
and efficient planning of the entire manufacturing system, which is becoming increasingly complex with the emergence of sophisticated production methods and control systems.
Production EngineerThe Production Engineer possesses a wide set of skills, competences and attitudes based on market and scientific knowledge. These abilities are fundamental for the performance of coordinating and integrating professionals of multidisciplinary teams.
The production engineer should be able to:
- Dimmensionate and integrate resources. Usually required to consider physical, human and financial resources at high efficiency and low cost, yet considering the possibility of continuous further improvement;
- Make proper use of math and statistics to model production systems during decision making process;
- Design, implement and refine products, services, processes and systems taking in consideration constraints and particularities of the related communities;
- Forecast and analyse demand. Select among scientific and technological appropriate knowledge in order to design, redesign or improve product/service functionality;
- Incorporate concepts and quality techniques along all the productive system. Deploy organizational standards for control proceedings and auditing;
- Stay up-to-date with technological developments, enabling them to enterprises and society;
- Understand the relation between production systems and the environment. This relates to the use of scarce resources, production dejects and sustainability;
- Manage and optimize flow (information and production flow).
Work opportunities are available in public
The public sector, sometimes referred to as the state sector, is a part of the state that deals with either the production, delivery and allocation of goods and services by and for the government or its citizens, whether national, regional or local/municipal.Examples of public sector activity range...
and private sector
In economics, the private sector is that part of the economy, sometimes referred to as the citizen sector, which is run by private individuals or groups, usually as a means of enterprise for profit, and is not controlled by the state...
manufacturing organizations engaged in implementation, development and management of new production processes, information and control systems, and computer controlled inspection, assembly and handling.
- Industrial engineeringIndustrial engineeringIndustrial engineering is a branch of engineering dealing with the optimization of complex processes or systems. It is concerned with the development, improvement, implementation and evaluation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials, analysis...
- Management engineeringManagement engineeringManagement engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on optimizing complex processes or systems. It is concerned with the development, improvement, implementation and evaluation of integrated systems of people, money, knowledge, information, equipment, energy, materials and/or processes....
- Manufacturing engineeringManufacturing engineeringManufacturing engineering is a field dealing with different manufacturing practices and the research and development of processes, machines and equipment.-Overview:...