(1) A light touch with the hands
(2) A single complete movement
(3) (sports) the act of swinging or striking at a ball with a club or racket or bat or cue or hand
"It took two strokes to get out of the bunker"
"A good shot require good balance and tempo"
"He left me an almost impossible shot"
(4) Any one of the repeated movements of the limbs and body used for locomotion in swimming or rowing
(5) A mark made by a writing implement (as in cursive writing)
(6) A punctuation mark (/) used to separate related items of information
(7) The maximum movement available to a pivoted or reciprocating piece by a cam
(8) A light touch
(9) The oarsman nearest the stern of the shell who sets the pace for the rest of the crew
(10) A sudden loss of consciousness resulting when the rupture or occlusion of a blood vessel leads to oxygen lack in the brain
(11) Treat gingerly or carefully
"You have to stroke the boss"
(12) Strike a ball with a smooth blow
(13) Row at a particular rate
(14) Touch lightly and with affection, with brushing motions
"He stroked his long beard"
From < , an unattested noun on the basis of the verb .
- An act of stroking.
- She gave the cat a stroke.
- A blow or hit.
- A line drawn with a pen or pencil.
- A streak of paint made with a brush.
- The time when a clock strikes.
- on the stroke of midnight
- A thrust of a piston.
- A particular style of swimming.
- The loss of brain function arising when the blood supply to the brain is suddenly interrupted.
- A single movement with a tool.
- A single act of striking with a weapon.
- A single act of striking at the ball with a club.
- The hitting of a ball with a racket, or the movement of the racket and arm that produces that impact.
- The movement of an oar or paddle through water, either the pull which actually propels the vessel or a single entire cycle of movement including the pull.
- The rower who is nearest the stern of the boat.
- In professional wrestling, backstage influence.
- The action of hitting the ball with the bat; a shot.
- The symbol "/".
- A point awarded to a player in case of interference or obstruction by the opponent, see Wikipedia's article on squash for more information.
- A stroke of a Chinese character.
- A stroke of pen or brush.