(1) That part of the central nervous system that includes all the higher nervous centers; enclosed within the skull; continuous with the spinal cord
(2) That which is responsible for one's thoughts and feelings; the seat of the faculty of reason
"His mind wandered"
"I couldn't get his words out of my head"
(3) Mental ability
"He's got plenty of brains but no common sense"
(4) The brain of certain animals used as meat
(5) Someone who has exceptional intellectual ability and originality
"Mozart was a child genius"
"He's smart but he's no Einstein"
(6) Kill by smashing someone's skull
(7) Hit on the head
, derived from and
- The control center of the central nervous system of an animal located in the skull which is responsible for perception, cognition, attention, memory, emotion, and action.
- An intelligent person.
- He was a total brain.
- A person who provides the intelligence required for something.
- He is the brains behind the scheme.
- (in plural brains) Intellect.
- He has a lot of brains.
- By analogy with a human brain, the part of a machine or computer that performs calculations.
- The computer's brain is capable of millions of calculations a second.
- To strike (someone) on the head.
- To kill (a person) by smashing that person's skull.