(1) Any hormone affecting the development and growth of sex organs
(2) Any of several fat-soluble organic compounds having as a basis 17 carbon atoms in four rings; many have important physiological effects
- A class of organic compounds having a structure of 17 carbon atoms arranged in four rings; they are lipids, and occur naturally as sterols, bile acids, adrenal and sex hormones, and some vitamins; many drugs are synthetic steroids.
- Any anabolic hormone used to promote muscle growth.
- Any chemical compound used to enhance athletic performance.