(1) Of leaf shapes; of leaves composed of several similar parts or lobes
(2) Composed of many distinct individuals united to form a whole or colony
"Coral is a colonial organism"
(3) Consisting of two or more substances or ingredients or elements or parts
"Soap is a compound substance"
"Housetop is a compound word"
"A blackberry is a compound fruit"
(4) An enclosure of residences and other building (especially in the Orient)
(5) A whole formed by a union of two or more elements or parts
(6) (chemistry) a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
(7) Put or add together
(8) Make more intense, stronger, or more marked
"The efforts were intensified", "Her rudeness intensified his dislike for her"
"Pot smokers claim it heightens their awareness"
"This event only deepened my convictions"
(9) Combine so as to form a whole; mix
"Compound the ingredients"
(10) Create by mixing or combining
(11) Calculate principal and interest
From Middle English compounen < Middle French componre, compondre "to put together" < Latin componere < Latin com- "together" + ponere "to put". As a noun "things which have been put together".
Possibly from kampong, kampung "group of buildings, village".
- an enclosure within which workers, prisoners, or soldiers are confined
- a group of buildings situated close together, eg. for a school or block of offices
- (enclosure within which workers, prisoners, or soldiers are confined): gaol/jail, pen, pound, prison
From Middle English compounen < componre, compondre "to put together" < componere < com- "together" + ponere "to put".
- anything made by combining several things
- a substance made from the chemical combination of elements
- A lexeme that consists of more than one stem; for example , formed from and .
- (anything made by combining several things): amalgam, blend, composite, mix, mixture
- (word): compound word
- to come together
- to come to terms of agreement
- to put together
- to add to
- to settle by agreeing on less than the claim