(1) (nontechnical usage) a tiny piece of anything
(2) (physics and chemistry) the smallest component of an element having the chemical properties of the element
From from from from + .
- The smallest mediaeval unit of time, equal to fifteen ninety-fourths of a second.
- A theoretical particle of matter, imagined to be incapable of further division; the smallest possible unit of substance.
- The smallest possible amount of matter which still retains its identity as a chemical element, now known to consist of a nucleus surrounded by electrons.
- A non-zero member of a Boolean algebra that is not a union of any other elements.
- The smallest, indivisible constituent part or unit of something.