(1) An approximate definition or example
"She wore a sort of magenta dress"
"She served a creamy sort of dessert thing"
(2) A category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality
"Sculpture is a form of art"
"What kinds of desserts are there?"
(3) A person of a particular character or nature
"What sort of person is he?"
"He's a good sort"
(4) An operation that segregates items into groups according to a specified criterion
"The bottleneck in mail delivery it the process of sorting"
(5) Arrange or order by classes or categories
"How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?"
(6) Examine in order to test suitability
"Screen these samples"
"Screen the job applicants"
From , from root of
- A general type.
- group, company.
- A person.
- This guy's a decent sort.
- An act of sorting.
- I had a sort of my cupboard
- An algorithm for sorting a list of items into a particular order.
- A piece of metal type used to print one letter, character, or symbol in a particular size and style.
Synonymsgenre, genus, kind, type, variety character, individual, person, type sort-out sort algorithm, sorting algorithm glyph, type
- See also Wikisaurus:class
From , from , from
- To separate according to certain criteria.
- To arrange into some order, especially numerically, alphabetically or chronologically.