(1) Any person in the armed services who holds a position of authority or command
"An officer is responsible for the lives of his men"
(2) Someone who is appointed or elected to an office and who holds a position of trust
"He is an officer of the court"
"The club elected its officers for the coming year"
(3) A person authorized to serve in a position of authority on a vessel
"He is the officer in charge of the ship's engines"
(4) A member of a police force
"It was an accident, officer"
(5) Direct or command as an officer
From , , from , from + .
- One who has a position of authority in a hierarchical organization, especially in military, police or government organizations.
- One who holds a public office.
- An agent or servant imparted with the ability, to some degree, to act on initiative.
- A simple contraction of the term "commissioned officer."