(1) The principal character in a play or movie or novel or poem
(2) A large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
(3) (Greek mythology) priestess of Aphrodite who killed herself when her lover Leander drowned while trying to swim the Hellespont to see her
(4) Someone who fights for a cause
(5) (classical mythology) a being of great strength and courage celebrated for bold exploits; often the offspring of a mortal and a god
(6) A man distinguished by exceptional courage and nobility and strength
"RAF pilots were the heroes of the Battle of Britain"
(7) Greek mathematician and inventor who devised a way to determine the area of a triangle and who described various mechanical devices (first century)
Via from from . Related to Latin .
- A real or mythical person of great bravery who carries out extraordinary deeds.
- A role model.
- The main protagonist in a work of fiction.
- A champion.
- An unwilling sufferer of an act of terrorism, terminal disease, or other tragedy.
- A large sandwich made from meats and cheeses; a hero sandwich
- Someone who possesses supernatural powers (in fiction) such as Spiderman.