(1) Coating for fabrics, ceramics, metal, etc.
(2) A glossy finish on a fabric
(3) Any of various thin shiny (savory or sweet) coatings applied to foods
(4) Become glassy or take on a glass-like appearance
"Her eyes glaze over when she is bored"
(5) Coat with a glaze
"The potter glazed the dishes"
(6) Coat with something sweet, such as a hard sugar glaze
(7) Furnish with glass
"Glass the windows"
- The vitreous coating of pottery or porcelain; anything used as a coating or color in glazing. See glaze (transitive verb).
- A smooth coating of ice formed on objects due to the freezing of rain.
- Broth reduced by boiling to a gelatinous paste, and spread thinly over braised dishes.
- A glazing oven. See glost ("oven").
- A transparent or semi-transparent layer of paint.
- To become glazed or glassy.
- In painting, to apply a thin, transparent layer of color.