(1) Anything happening rapidly or in quick successive
"A rain of bullets"
"A pelting of insults"
(2) Water falling in drops from vapor condensed in the atmosphere
(3) Drops of fresh water that fall as precipitation from clouds
(4) Precipitate as rain
"If it rains much more, we can expect some flooding"
- Condensed water falling from a cloud.
- We've been having a lot of rain lately.
- The rains came late that year.
- Any matter moving or falling, usually through air, and especially if liquid or otherwise figuratively identifiable with raindrops.
- An instance of particles or larger pieces of matter moving or falling through air.
- A rain of mortar fire fell on our trenches.
- To have rain fall from the sky.
- It will rain today.
- To fall in large quantities.
- Bombs rained from the sky.
- To issue (something) in large quantities.
- The boxer rained punches on his opponent's head.