(1) Thin structure composed of a single thickness of cells
(2) A hen that lays eggs
(3) Single thickness of usually some homogeneous substance
"Slices of hard-boiled egg on a bed of spinach"
(4) An abstract place usually conceived as having depth
"A good actor communicates on several levels"
"A simile has at least two layers of meaning"
"The mind functions on many strata simultaneously"
(5) A relatively thin sheetlike expanse or region lying over or under another
(6) Make or form a layer
"Layer the different colored sands"
From , < +
- A single thickness of some material covering a surface
- A (usually) horizontal deposit; a stratum.
- A person who lays things, such as tiles.
- A hen kept to lay eggs.
- An item of clothing worn under or over another.
- shoot of a plant, laid under ground for growth.