(1) A person who uses scientific knowledge to solve practical problems
(2) The operator of a railway locomotive
(3) Plan and direct (a complex undertaking)
"He masterminded the robbery"
(4) Design as an engineer
"He engineered the water supply project"
From engineour < < < < + , OL. ; see ingenious.
- A person who is qualified or professionally engaged in any branch of engineering.
- A person trained in a natural science that applies such knowledge towards a practical objective.
- A person who, given a practical scientific problem involving the physical world and a specific set of goals and constraints, finds a technical solution to the problem that satisfies those goals within those constraints. The goals and constraints may be technical, social, or business related.
- A person who operates an engine (such as a locomotive).