(1) Showing inventiveness and skill
"A clever gadget"
"The cunning maneuvers leading to his success"
"An ingenious solution to the problem"
(2) Skillful (or showing skill) in adapting means to ends
"Cool prudence and sensitive selfishness along with quick perception of what is possible--these distinguish an adroit politician"
"Came up with a clever story"
"An ingenious press agent"
"An ingenious scheme"
(3) (used of persons or artifacts) marked by independence and creativity in thought or action
"An imaginative use of material"
"The invention of the knitting frame by another ingenious English clergyman"- Lewis Mumford
"An ingenious device"
"Had an inventive turn of mind"
From < < + , OL. . Cf. ; see also engine.
- Displaying genius or brilliance; tending to invent.
- This fellow is ingenious; he fixed a problem I didn't even know I had.
- Characterized by genius; cleverly done or contrived.
- That is an ingenious model of the atom.
- Witty; original; shrewd; adroit; keen; sagacious.
- He sent me an ingenious reply for an email.