(1) Producing offspring or set aside especially for producing offspring
"The breeding population"
"Retained a few bulls for breeding purposes"
(2) The sexual activity of conceiving and bearing offspring
(3) The production of animals or plants by inbreeding or hybridization
(4) Helping someone grow up to be an accepted member of the community
"They debated whether nature or nurture was more important"
(5) Elegance by virtue of fineness of manner and expression
(6) The result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior)
"A woman of breeding and refinement"
- The process through which propagation, growth or development occurs.
- Your dog has had good breeding.
- The act of insemination by natural or artificial means
- The act of copulation in animals
breeding (no comparative or superlative; used only before the noun)
- Of, relating to or used for breeding.
- Your toothbrush is a breeding ground for bacteria.
- Through genetic manipulation and harsh training, I am breeding a species of super-dogs to take over the world.