(1) Act of improving by expanding or enlarging or refining
"He congratulated them on their development of a plan to meet the emergency"
"They funded research and development"
(2) The act of making some area of land or water more profitable or productive or useful
"The development of Alaskan resources"
"The exploitation of copper deposits"
(3) (music) the section of a composition or movement (especially in sonata form) where the major musical themes are developed and elaborated
(4) A recent event that has some relevance for the present situation
"Recent developments in Iraq"
"What a revolting development!"
(5) A district that has been developed to serve some purpose
"Such land is practical for small park developments"
(6) Processing a photosensitive material in order to make an image visible
"The development and printing of his pictures took only two hours"
(7) A process in which something passes by degrees to a different stage (especially a more advanced or mature stage)
"The development of his ideas took many years"
"The evolution of Greek civilization"
"The slow development of her skill as a writer"
(8) (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level
"He proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
(9) A state in which things are improving; the result of developing (as in the early part of a game of chess)
"After he saw the latest development he changed his mind and became a supporter"
"In chess your should take care of your development before moving your queen"
- The process of developing; growth
- The development of this story has been slow.
- The organism has reached a crucial stage in its development.
- Something which has developed
- Our news team brings you the latest developments.
- A real estate development
- The application of new ideas to practical problems (cf. research)
- Our development department has produced three new adhesives this year.
- The active placement of the pieces, or the process of achieving it
- White's development is good, but black's has been hampered by the pawn on e5.
- The second section of a piece of music in sonata form.