(1) The gradual beginning or coming forth
"Figurines presage the emergence of sculpture in Greece"
(2) Vegetation that has grown
"A growth of trees"
"The only growth was some salt grass"
(3) Something grown or growing
"A growth of hair"
(4) (biology) the process of an individual organism growing organically; a purely biological unfolding of events involved in an organism changing gradually from a simple to a more complex level
"He proposed an indicator of osseous development in children"
(5) A progression from simpler to more complex forms
"The growth of culture"
(6) A process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important
"The increase in unemployment"
"The growth of population"
(7) (pathology) an abnormal proliferation of tissue (as in a tumor)
- an increase in size, number, value, or strength
- Growth was dampened by a softening of the global economy in 2001, but picked up in the subsequent years due to strong growth in China.
- the act of growing, getting bigger or higher
- something that grows or has grown
- an abnormal mass such as a tumor