Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity
Ursuline Church of the Holy Trinity is a church in Ljubljana
Ljubljana is the capital of Slovenia and its largest city. It is the centre of the City Municipality of Ljubljana. It is located in the centre of the country in the Ljubljana Basin, and is a mid-sized city of some 270,000 inhabitants...
, the capital of Slovenia
Slovenia , officially the Republic of Slovenia , is a country in Central and Southeastern Europe touching the Alps and bordering the Mediterranean. Slovenia borders Italy to the west, Croatia to the south and east, Hungary to the northeast, and Austria to the north, and also has a small portion of...
. It was built between 1718 and 1726 in the Baroque style .
It was designed by Carlo Martinuzzi, a Friuli
Friuli is an area of northeastern Italy with its own particular cultural and historical identity. It comprises the major part of the autonomous region Friuli-Venezia Giulia, i.e. the province of Udine, Pordenone, Gorizia, excluding Trieste...
an architect and is noted for its extensive altar
An altar is any structure upon which offerings such as sacrifices are made for religious purposes. Altars are usually found at shrines, and they can be located in temples, churches and other places of worship...
made of African marble designed by Francesco Robba
Francesco Robba was an Italian sculptor of the Baroque period. Even while he is regarded as the leading Baroque sculptor of marble statues in the south-east Central Europe, he has remained practically unknown to the international scholarly public.-Life:Francesco Robba was born in Venice...
, who also built the Fountain of the Three Rivers of Carniola which stands on the Town Square
Town Square, Ljubljana
Town Square is a major square in Ljubljana, the capital of Slovenia.The Ljubljana Town Hall is located on the square. In front of the Town Hall stands a copy of the Robba fountain. At the end of the square stands St. Nicholas Cathedral. In front of the Town Hall is the house where Gustav Mahler...
The original bell tower was destroyed in the Ljubljana earthquake of 1895. The current one was built in the 1900s.