Health is the level of functional or metabolic efficiency of a living being. In humans, it is the general condition of a person's mind, body and spirit, usually meaning to be free from illness, injury or pain...
Education in its broadest, general sense is the means through which the aims and habits of a group of people lives on from one generation to the next. Generally, it occurs through any experience that has a formative effect on the way one thinks, feels, or acts...
(often abbreviated Phys. Ed. or P.E.) or gymnastics
Gymnastics is a sport involving performance of exercises requiring physical strength, flexibility, agility, coordination, and balance. Internationally, all of the gymnastic sports are governed by the Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique with each country having its own national governing body...
The word γυμνάσιον was used in Ancient Greece, that mean a locality for both physical and intellectual education of young men...
or gym class) is a course taken during primary and secondary education
Secondary education is the stage of education following primary education. Secondary education includes the final stage of compulsory education and in many countries it is entirely compulsory. The next stage of education is usually college or university...
that encourages psychomotor learning
Psychomotor learning is the relationship between cognitive functions and physical movement. Psychomotor learning is demonstrated by physical skills such as movement, coordination, manipulation, dexterity, grace, strength, speed; actions which...
in a play or movement exploration setting.
Physical Education has 5 components:
- Cardiovascular Fitness is the ability of the heart, lungs and vascular system to deliver oxygen-rich blood to working to working muscles during sustained physical activity.
- Muscular Strength is the amount of force a muscle or group of muscles can exert against a heavy resistance.
- Muscular Endurance is the ability of a muscle or muscle group to repeat a movement many times or hold a particular position for an extended period of time.
- Flexibility is a degree to which an individual muscle will lengthen.
- Body Composition is the amount of fat in the body compared to the amount of lean mass.
Physical education trends have developed recently to incorporate a greater variety of activities.