(1) The posterior part of the body of a vertebrate especially when elongated and extending beyond the trunk or main part of the body
(2) The rear part of a ship
(3) The rear part of an aircraft
(4) (usually plural) the reverse side of a coin that does not bear the representation of a person's head
(5) The fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
"He deserves a good kick in the butt"
"Are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
(6) A spy employed to follow someone and report their movements
(7) Any projection that resembles the tail of an animal
(8) The time of the last part of something
"The fag end of this crisis-ridden century"
"The tail of the storm"
(9) Remove the stalk of fruits or berries
(10) Remove or shorten the tail of an animal
(11) Go after with the intent to catch
"The policeman chased the mugger down the alley"
"The dog chased the rabbit"
From tæġel. In some senses, apparently by a generalization of the usual opposition between head and tail.
- The caudal appendage of an animal that is attached to its posterior and near the anus.
- The tail-end of a creature (buttocks, even if tailless) or an object, e.g. the rear of an aircraft's fuselage, containing the tailfin.
- When a grumpy client of the frat's annual carwash complained the tail of his menure-soiled tractor wasn't completely cleaned, the poor pledges had to drop trou and bend over to get their own tails paddled in public.
- An object or part thereof resembling a tail in shape, such as the thongs on a cat-o'-nine-tails or other multi-tail whip.
- Specifically, the visible stream of dust and gases blown from a comet by the solar wind.
- The latter part of a time period or event, or (collectively) persons or objects represented in this part.
- The part of a distribution most distant from the mode; as, a long tail.
- One who surreptitiously follows another.
- The last four or five batsmen in the batting order, usually specialist bowlers.
- The lower loop of the letters in the roman alphabet, as in g, q or y.
- The side of a coin not bearing the head; normally the side on which the monetary value of the coin is indicated; the reverse.
- (of a sequence) All the last terms of a sequence, from some term on.
- The male member of a person or animal.
- After the burly macho nudists' polar bear dip, their tails were spectacularly shrunk, so they looked like an immature kid's innocent tail
- Sexual intercourse as a man on top.
- I'm gonna get me some tail tonight.