(1) A journey in a vehicle (usually an automobile)
"He took the family for a drive in his new car"
(2) A mechanical device that you ride for amusement or excitement
(3) Harass with persistent criticism or carping
"The children teased the new teacher"
"Don't ride me so hard over my failure"
"His fellow workers razzed him when he wore a jacket and tie"
(4) Copulate with
"The bull was riding the cow"
(5) Keep partially engaged by slightly depressing a pedal with the foot
"Don't ride the clutch!"
(6) Move like a floating object
"The moon rode high in the night sky"
(7) Ride over, along, or through
"Ride the freeways of California"
(8) Be carried or travel on or in a vehicle
"I ride to work in a bus"
"He rides the subway downtown every day"
(9) Sit and travel on the back of animal, usually while controlling its motions
"She never sat a horse!"
"Did you ever ride a camel?"
"The girl liked to drive the young mare"
(10) Climb up on the body
"Shorts that ride up"
"This skirt keeps riding up my legs"
(11) Sit on and control a vehicle
"He rides his bicycle to work every day"
"She loves to ride her new motorcycle through town"
(12) Continue undisturbed and without interference
"Let it ride"
(13) Lie moored or anchored
"Ship rides at anchor"
(14) Be contingent on
"The outcomes rides on the results of the election"
"Your grade will depends on your homework"
(15) Have certain properties when driven
"This car rides smoothly"
"My new truck drives well"
(16) Be sustained or supported or borne
"His glasses rode high on his nose"
"The child rode on his mother's hips"
"She rode a wave of popularity"
"The brothers rode to an easy victory on their father's political name"
, Old English , from Germanic }, from Indo-European }. Cognate with Dutch , German , Swedish ; and (from Indo-European) with Welsh .
- To transport oneself by means of a bicycle, horse, etc.
- To sit on and control an animal for sport or recreation.
- To be carried or supported by something with momentum.
- To play defense on the defensemen or midfielders, as an attackman.
- To copulate while sexually mounted on; have sexual intercourse with (a woman).
- To obsess; to nag.