(1) The occupation of athletes who compete for pay
(2) An active diversion requiring physical exertion and competition
(3) Verbal wit or mockery (often at another's expense but not to be taken seriously)
"He became a figure of fun"
"He said it in sport"
(4) (biology) an organism that has characteristics resulting from chromosomal alteration
(5) Someone who engages in sports
(6) A person known for the way she (or he) behaves when teased or defeated or subjected to trying circumstances
"A good sport"
"A poor sport"
(7) (Maine colloquial) a temporary summer resident of Maine
(8) Play boisterously
"The children frolicked in the garden"
"The gamboling lambs in the meadows"
"The toddlers romped in the playroom"
(9) Wear or display in an ostentatious or proud manner
"She was sporting a new hat"
- suitable for use in athletic activities
- Jen has a new pair of sport shoes, and a new sports bra.
- Any athletic activity that uses physical skills, often competitive.
- A person who exhibits either good or bad sportsmanship.
- Jen may have won, but she was sure a poor sport; she laughed at the loser.
- The loser was a good sport, and congratulated Jen on her performance.
- Somebody who behaves or reacts in an admirable manner, a good sport.
- You're such a sport! You never get upset when we tease you.
- A toy; a plaything; an object of mockery.
- Gaming for money as in racing, hunting, fishing.
- A plant or an animal, or part of a plant or animal, which has some peculiarity not usually seen in the species; an abnormal variety or growth. The term encompasses both mutants and organisms with non-genetic developmental abnormalities such as birth defects.
- A sportsman; a gambler, one who consorts with less than reputable people, including prostitutes.
- An amorous dalliance.
- Charlie and Lisa enjoyed a bit of sport after their hike.
- to amuse oneself, to play
- to mock or tease, treat lightly, toy with
- Jen sports with Bill's emotions.
- to wear (something) with pride
- Jen's sporting a new pair of shoes.
- to bear a mark or wound with embarrassment
sport (plural sporten)