(1) A political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
(2) A form of government whose head of state is not a monarch
"The head of state in a republic is usually a president"
From rēs publica ("republic"), from rēs ("thing") + publica, the feminine of publicus ("public"). Literally meaning "the public thing".
- A state where sovereignty rests with the people or their representatives, rather than with a monarch or emperor; a country with no monarchy.
- The U.S.A. is a republic; Great Britain is technically a monarchy.
- One of the subdivisions constituting Russia. See oblast.
- The Republic of Udmurtia is west of the Permian Oblast.