(1) Impudent aggressiveness
"I couldn't believe her boldness"
"He had the effrontery to question my honesty"
(2) The courage to carry on
"He kept fighting on pure spunk"
"You haven't got the heart for baseball"
(3) Any bundle of nerve fibers running to various organs and tissues of the body
(4) Get ready for something difficult or unpleasant
Recorded since circa 1374, from , from , a metathesis of pre-Latin *neuros, from Proto-Indo-European *(s)neu-; cognates include Greek (neuros)
- A bundle of neurons with their connective tissue sheaths, blood vessels and lymphatics.
- A neuron.
- A vein in a leaf; a grain in wood
- Some plants have ornamental value because of their contrasting nerves
- Courage, boldness.
- Stamina, endurance, fortitude.
- Audacity, gall.
- He had the nerve to enter my house uninvited.
- Agitation caused by fear, stress or other negative emotion.