(1) Involving disadvantage or harm
"Minus (or negative) factors"
(2) Expressing or consisting of a negation or refusal or denial
(3) Designed or tending to discredit, especially without positive or helpful suggestions
(4) Having the quality of something harmful or unpleasant
"Ran a negative campaign"
"Delinquents retarded by their negative outlook on life"
(5) Characterized by or displaying negation or denial or opposition or resistance; having no positive features
"A negative outlook on life"
"A colorless negative personality"
"A negative evaluation"
"A negative reaction to an advertising campaign"
(6) Less than zero
"A negative number"
(7) Reckoned in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive
"Negative interest rates"
(8) Not indicating the presence of microorganisms or disease or a specific condition
"The HIV test was negative"
(9) Having a negative electric charge
"Electrons are negative"
(10) A piece of photographic film showing an image with black and white tones reversed
(11) A reply of denial
"He answered in the negative"
(12) Vote against; refuse to endorse; refuse to assent
"The President vetoed the bill"
< < ; see negate.
- not positive or neutral
- pessimistic; not tending to see the bright side of things.
- I don't like to hang around him very much, because he can be so negative many times about his petty problems.
- inherently damaging; undesirable
- of number, less than zero
- of electrical charge of an electron and related particles