(1) A place that attracts many visitors
"New York is a mecca for young artists"
(2) Joint capital (with Riyadh) of Saudi Arabia; located in western Saudi Arabia; as the birthplace of Muhammad it is the holiest city of Islam
- A city in Saudi Arabia, the holiest place in Islam, location of the sacred Ka'ba, and to which Muslims are required to make a hajj at least once in their lifetime.
- Any place considered to be a very important place to visit by people with a particular interest.
- 1991, The Economist, The Economist Newspaper Ltd.
- On the other side of the Atlantic, stores in Paris's chic Avenue Montaigne, a mecca for Japanese tourists, said that sales to foreigners had fallen sharply.
- 1997, John Romano, Muscle Meals, page 14.
- Living in Venice, California and training at the Mecca of bodybuilding, Gold's Gym, I've seen some of the world's most dedicated and hard-training athletes.