(1) Unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound
"A gravelly voice"
(2) Rock fragments and pebbles
(3) Be a mystery or bewildering to
"This beats me!"
"Got me--I don't know the answer!"
"A vexing problem"
"This question really stuck me"
(4) Cover with gravel
"We gravelled the driveway"
(5) Cause annoyance in; disturb, especially by minor irritations
"Mosquitoes buzzing in my ear really bothers me"
"It irritates me that she never closes the door after she leaves"
From , from , diminutive. of
- Small fragments of rock, used for laying on the beds of roads and railroads, and as ballast.
- A type or grade of small rocks, differentiated by mineral type, size range, or other characteristics.