(1) An imaginative lively style (especially style of writing)
"His writing conveys great energy"
"A remarkable muscularity of style"
(2) Enterprising or ambitious drive
"Europeans often laugh at American energy"
(3) Forceful exertion
"He plays tennis with great energy"
"He's full of zip"
(4) The federal department responsible for maintaining a national energy policy of the United States; created in 1977
(5) (physics) the capacity of a physical system to do work; the units of energy are joules or ergs
"Energy can take a wide variety of forms"
(6) A healthy capacity for vigorous activity
"Jogging works off my excess energy"
"He seemed full of vim and vigor"
From < < + .
- The impetus behind all motion and all activity.
- The capacity to do work.
- A quantity that denotes the ability to do work and is measured in a unit dimensioned in mass × distance²/time² (ML²/T²) or the equivalent.
- An intangible force that is preserved and transferred in human interactions; shared mood or group habit.