(1) Place limits on (extent or access)
"Restrict the use of this parking lot"
"Limit the time you can spend with your friends"
(2) Restrict or confine, "I limit you to two visits to the pub a day"
(3) To close within bounds, limit or hold back from movement
"This holds the local until the express passengers change trains"
"About a dozen animals were held inside the stockade"
"The illegal immigrants were held at a detention center"
"The terrorists held the journalists for ransom"
(4) Prevent from leaving or from being removed
(5) Deprive of freedom; take into confinement
(6) Close in or confine