(1) One of a set of small pieces of stiff paper marked in various ways and used for playing games or for telling fortunes
"He collected cards and traded them with the other boys"
(2) A printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots in a computer to increase the computer's capabilities
(3) A card certifying the identity of the bearer
"He had to show his card to get in"
(4) (baseball) a list of batters in the order in which they will bat
"The managers presented their cards to the umpire at home plate"
(5) A list of dishes available at a restaurant
"The menu was in French"
(6) (golf) a record of scores (as in golf)
"You have to turn in your card to get a handicap"
(7) A rectangular piece of stiff paper used to send messages (may have printed greetings or pictures)
"They sent us a card from Miami"
(8) A printed or written greeting that is left to indicate that you have visited
(9) A sign posted in a public place as an advertisement
"A poster advertised the coming attractions"
(10) A witty amusing person who makes jokes
(11) Thin cardboard, usually rectangular
(12) Ask someone for identification to determine whether he or she is old enough to consume liquor
"I was carded when I tried to buy a beer!"
(13) Separate the fibers of
From , from < < .
- A playing card.
- Any game using playing cards; a card game.
- A resource or an argument, used to a achieve a purpose.
- The government played the Orange card to get support for their Ireland policy.
- He accused them of playing the race card.
- Any flat, normally rectangular piece of stiff paper, plastic etc.
- An amusing but slightly foolish person.
- A list of scheduled events or of performers or contestants.
- What's on the card for tonight?
- A tabular presentation of the key statistics of an innings or match:- batsmen's scores and how they were dismissed, extras, total score and bowling figures.
- A listing of the runners and riders, together with colours and recent form, for all the races on a particular day at a particular racecourse
- To check IDs at a venue with a minimum age requirement
- They have to card anybody who looks 21 or younger.
- A comb- or brush-like device or tool to raise the nap on a fabric.
- A hand-held tool formed similarly to a hairbrush but with bristles of wire or other rigid material. It is used principally with raw cotton, wool, hair, or other natural fibers to prepare these materials for spinning into yarn or thread on a spinning wheel, with a whorl or other hand-held spindle. The card serves to untangle, clean, remove debris from, and lay the fibers straight.
- A machine for disentangling the fibres of wool prior to spinning.
- To use a carding device to disentangle the fibres of wool prior to spinning.
- To scrape or tear someone's flesh using a metal comb, as a form of torture