The Residence Theatre or New Residence Theatre (Neues Residenztheater) of the Residence
The Munich Residenz is the former royal palace of the Bavarian monarchs in the center of the city of Munich, Germany...
Munich The city's motto is "" . Before 2006, it was "Weltstadt mit Herz" . Its native name, , is derived from the Old High German Munichen, meaning "by the monks' place". The city's name derives from the monks of the Benedictine order who founded the city; hence the monk depicted on the city's coat...
was built from 1950 to 1951 by Karl Hocheder. The renovation of 1981 by Alexander von Branca removed the decoration which had been done in the typical style of the early 1950s.
Elector of Bavaria Maximilian III Joseph
Maximilian III, Elector of Bavaria
Maximilian III Joseph was Prince-elector of the Holy Roman Empire and Duke of Bavaria from 1745 to 1777.-Biography:...
ordered to construct a new theatre outside the palace after a fire in the St.George's Hall of the Residence which had served as before as a theatre room. This theatre was also destroyed during World War II and replaced by the New Residence Theatre. Since the decoration of the Old Residence Theatre had been rescued it was moved into a wing of the Residence and re-opened as Cuvilliés Theatre
The Cuvilliés Theatre or Old Residence Theatre is the former court theatre of the Residenz in Munich, southern Germany.- Description :...
The New Residence Theatre houses the Bavarian State Theatre (Bavarian Staatsschauspiel), one of the most important German language
German is a West Germanic language, related to and classified alongside English and Dutch. With an estimated 90 – 98 million native speakers, German is one of the world's major languages and is the most widely-spoken first language in the European Union....
Theatre is a collaborative form of fine art that uses live performers to present the experience of a real or imagined event before a live audience in a specific place. The performers may communicate this experience to the audience through combinations of gesture, speech, song, music or dance...
s in the world.
Directors of the Staatsschauspiel
- 1938 to 1945 Alexander Golling
- 1945 to 1948 Paul VerhoevenPaul Verhoeven (Germany)Paul Verhoeven was a German actor, writer, and film and theatre director.He had 13 siblings and the family lived in modest circumstances.He directed and acted in over 50 films, and wrote over 20 film scripts, the first of which was Das kleine Hofkonzert in 1935, an operetta with music by Edmund...
- 1948 to 1953 Alois Johannes Lippl
- 1953 to 1958 Kurt Horwitz
- 1958 to 1972 Helmut Henrichs
- 1972 to 1983 Kurt MeiselKurt MeiselKurt Meisel was an Austrian actor and film director. He appeared in 65 films between 1934 and 1994. He also directed 21 films between 1949 and 1984.Meisel was married to the actress Ursula Lingen...
- 1983 to 1986 Frank BaumbauerFrank BaumbauerFrank Baumbauer is an award-winning German theater director and artistic director active in the German theater community. He is the son of German casting agent Erna Baumbauer. Baumbauer was from 2001 - 2009 the director of the Munich Kammerspiele.-External links:...
- 1986 to 1993 Günther Beelitz
- 1993 to 2001 Eberhard Witt
- 2001 to 2011 Dieter DornDieter DornDieter Dorn is a German theatre director, also for the opera, the manager of the Münchner Kammerspiele from 1983 to 2001 and now manager of the Bavarian Staatsschauspiel.- Biography :...
- since 2011 Martin KušejMartin KušejMartin Kušej is an Austrian theatre and opera director and current Artistic Director at the Residenz Theatre in Munich. According to German news magazine Focus Kušej belongs to the ten most important theatre directors who have emerged in the German speaking world since the millenium...