Parmaturus is a genus
in the family
In biology, a genus is a low-level taxonomic rank used in the biological classification of living and fossil organisms, which is an example of definition by genus and differentia...
Catsharks are ground sharks of the family Scyliorhinidae, with over 150 known species. While they are generally known as catsharks, many species are commonly called dogfish....
in the family
In biological classification, family is* a taxonomic rank. Other well-known ranks are life, domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, genus, and species, with family fitting between order and genus. As for the other well-known ranks, there is the option of an immediately lower rank, indicated by the...
- Parmaturus albimarginatusParmaturus albimarginatusThe white-tip catshark is a type of deepwater shark in the Western Pacific waters near New Caledonia....
Séret & Last, 2007 (White-tip catshark)
- Parmaturus albipenisParmaturus albipenisThe white-clasper catshark is a deepwater shark in the Western Pacific waters near New Caledonia....
Séret & Last, 2007 (White-clasper catshark)
- Parmaturus bigus Séret & Last, 2007 (Beige catshark)
- Parmaturus campechiensis S. SpringerStewart SpringerStewart Springer, was a world renowned expert on shark behavior, classification , and distribution of shark populations. There are more than 35 species of sharks, skates, rays, and other animals either classified originally by him or named after him.-Education:Springer was a field naturalist,...
, 1979 (Campeche catshark)
- Parmaturus lanatusParmaturus lanatusThe velvet catshark is a type of deep-water bathydemersal shark in the Western Pacific waters near Indonesia and has been seen at depths of 840-855m. Little else is known about the velvet catshark....
Séret & Last, 2007 (Velvet catshark)
- Parmaturus macmillani Hardy, 1985 (McMillan's cat shark)
- Parmaturus melanobranchus (W. L. Chan, 1966) (Blackgill catshark)
- Parmaturus pilosus Garman, 1906 (Salamander shark)
- Parmaturus xaniurus (C. H. GilbertCharles Henry GilbertCharles Henry Gilbert was a pioneer ichthyologist and fishery biologist of particular significance to natural history of the western United States. He collected and studied fishes from Central America north to Alaska and described many new species...
, 1892) (Filetail catshark)