List of Slovenian artists
This article is a list of Slovenia
n artists and architects
Slovenia , officially the Republic of Slovenia , is a country in Central and Southeastern Europe touching the Alps and bordering the Mediterranean. Slovenia borders Italy to the west, Croatia to the south and east, Hungary to the northeast, and Austria to the north, and also has a small portion of...
n artists and architects
- Zvest ApollonioZvest ApollonioZvest Apollonio was a Slovenian painter and scenographer.-Biography:Apollonio was born of an Italian father and a Slovenian mother and grew up bilingually. He entered the Ljubljana Academy of Fine Arts in 1960 where he studied under Gabrijel Stupica. He was a professor at the graphic arts...
(1935 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Anton AžbeAnton AžbeAnton Ažbe was a Slovene realist painter and teacher of painting.Ažbe, crippled since birth and orphaned at the age of 8, learned painting as an apprentice to Janez Wolf and at the Academies in Vienna and Munich. At the age of 30 Ažbe founded his own school of painting in Munich that became a...
(1862 - 1905) - painter.
- Emerik Bernard (1927 - ) - painter.
- Fran Berneker (1874 - 1932] - sculptor
- Janez Bernik (1933 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Janez Boljka (1931 - ) - sculptor.
- Janez Janša (performance artist)Janez Janša (performance artist)Janez Janša is a conceptual artist, performer and producer graduated from the Academy of Fine Arts of Milan, Italy. His work has a strong social connotation and is characterized by an inter-media approach...
(1970 - ) - conceptual artist and performer.
- Janez Janša (director)Janez Janša (director)Janez Janša , is author, director and performer of interdisciplinary performances. He has studied sociology and theatre directing at the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia and performance theory at the University of Antwerp, Belgium....
(1964 - ) - theater director.
- Bogdan Borčič (1926 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Ivan Čargo (1898 - 1958) - painter
- Anton ČebejAnton CebejAnton Cebej was a Slovenian baroque painter.He was born in Sturje in modern day Ajdovščina.Notable works include Exaltation of the Cross from Vinica, painted in 1750 and Death of St Josephus painted in 1774 shortly before his death .Three of his paintings are in the National Gallery of Slovenia...
(1722 - 1774) - painter
- Avgust ČernigojAvgust CernigojAvgust Černigoj, also known in Italian as Augusto Cernigoi was a Italian painter, known for his avant-garde experiments in Constructivism....
(1898 - 1985) - painter.
- Jože CiuhaJože CiuhaJože Ciuha is a Slovenian-born artist. He has gained international recognition, winning several important international prizes. These prizes include:*Grand prix at the international graphic biennale at Seoul...
(1924 - ) - painter, graphic artist and illustrator.
- Riko Debenjak (1908 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Lojze Dolinar (1893 - 1970) - sculptor.
- Maks Fabiani (1865 - 1962) - architect.
- Ivan GroharIvan GroharIvan Grohar was a Slovene Impressionist painter. Together with Rihard Jakopič, Matej Sternen and Matija Jama, he is considered one of the leading figures of Slovene impressionism in the fin de siecle period.- Life :...
(1867 - 1911) - painter.
- Herman GvardjančičHerman GvardjančičHerman Gvardjančič, Slovene painter, born 21 October 1943, Gorenja vas, Škofja Loka.- Life :H. G. was born in Škofja Loka in Slovenia and was educated at the local primary school. After this he attented the Ljubljana School of Design and later continued painting at the Art Academy in Ljubljana...
(1943 - ) - painter.
- Stane JagodičStane Jagodichttp://www.rtvslo.si/slovenianmagazine/archive.php?op=read&id=158Stane Jagodič is a Slovenian free-lance artist and publicist. He was born in Celje and spent his youth in various places near Šmarje pri Jelšah. In 1964 he completed his studies at the School of Design and graduated at the Academy of...
(1943 - ) - painter, graphic artist, montager and illustrator.
- Božidar JakacBožidar JakacBožidar Jakac was a Slovene Expressionist, Realist and Symbolist painter, graphic artist, art teacher, photographer and filmmaker. He produced one of the most extensive oeuvres of pastels and oil paintings , drawings and, above all, graphics in Slovenia...
(1899 - 1989) - painter, graphic artist and illustrator.
- Rihard JakopičRihard JakopicRihard Jakopič was a Slovenian painter. He was the leading Slovenian Impressionist painter and theoretician. Together with Matej Sternen, Matija Jama and Ivan Grohar, he is considered the pioneer of Slovenian impressionist painting.- Life :Jakopič was born in Ljubljana, then part of the...
(1869 - 1943) - painter.
- Matija JamaMatija JamaMatija Jama was a Slovene painter. Together with Rihard Jakopič, Ivan Grohar and Matej Sternen, he is considered among the best representatives of Impressionism in the Slovene Lands.- Life :...
(1872 - 1947) - painter.
- Andrej Jemec (1934 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Zmago Jeraj (1937 - ) - painter, photographer and illustrator.
- Boris Jesih (1943 - ) - painter.
- Zdenko Kalin (1911 - 1990) - sculptor.
- Boštjan Kavčič (1973 - ) - sculptor.
- Boris Kobe (1905 - 1981) - architect and painter.
- Ivana KobilcaIvana KobilcaIvana Kobilca was a Slovene realist painter who lived, worked and studied in various European cities including Vienna, Sarajevo, Berlin, Paris and Munich. She was a member of Société Nationale des Beaux Arts in Paris. Many of her paintings are still lifes, portraits or country settings...
(1861 - 1926) - painter.
- Rudolf Kotnik (1931 - 1996) - painter.
- Franc Kralj (1895 - 1960) - painter.
- Tone Kralj (1900 - 1975) - painter.
- Metka Krašovec (1941 - ) - paintress and graphic artist.
- Stanko Kristl (1922 - ) - architect.
- Dominik Olmiah Križan (1968 - ) - painter, graphic and video artist.
- Janez Lenassi (1927 - ) - sculptor.
- Lojze LogarLojze LogarLojze Logar is a Slovenian painter, graphic artist and professor, a 1987 Prešeren Fund Award and 1994 Jakopič Award laureate.-References:...
(1944 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Vladimir Makuc (1925 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Adriana MaražAdriana MaražAdriana Maraž is a Slovene graphic artist. She studied painting and graphic art at the Academy of Fine Arts in Ljubljana. She had many solo exhibitions and has participated in the Graphic Art Biennales in Ljubljana...
(1931 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- France Mihelič (1907 - 1998) - painter and graphic artist.
- Miran Mihelič (1925 - ) - architect.
- Edo Mihevc (1911 - 1985) - architect.
- Pia Mlakar (1908 - 2000) - ballerina and choreographer.
- Pino MlakarPino MlakarPino Mlakar was a Slovenian ballet dancer, choreographer, and teacher. He was born in Novo MestoIn 1927 he graduated from the Rudolf Laban Choreographic Institute in Hamburg....
(1907 - 2006) - ballet dancer and choreographer.
- Miki MusterMiki MusterMiki Muster is a Slovenian academic sculptor, illustrator, cartoonist and animator. He's best known for his comic books with the characters Zvitorepec, Trdonja and Lakotnik and many others.- References :...
(1925 - ) - illustrator.
- Marko MušičMarko MušicMarko Marijan Mušič is a Slovenian architect. He has designed buildings in cities such as Zagreb, Skopje and Ljubljana. Since May 2008 he has been a vice-president of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts .-Works:* Dom 7...
(1941 - ) - architect.
- Zoran MušičZoran MušicZoran Mušič was a Slovenian painter. He spent half of his life living and working in Italy.-Life:Zoran Mušič was born in a Slovene-speaking family in Bukovica, a village in the Vipava Valley near Gorizia, in what was then the Austrian County of Gorizia and Gradisca...
(1909 - ) - painter.
- Slavko Pengov (1908 - 1966) - painter.
- Jožef Petkovšek (1861 - 1898) - painter.
- Veno PilonVeno PilonVeno Pilon was a Slovene expressionist painter, graphic artist and photographer.Pilon was born in Ajdovščina, then part of the Austro-Hungarian province of Gorizia and Gradisca . After graduating from the prestigious gymasium of Gorizia, he was drafted by the Austro-Hungarian Army during World War I...
(1896 - 1970) - painter.
- Štefan Planinc (1925 - ) - painter, graphic artist and illustrator.
- Jože PlečnikJože PlecnikJože Plečnik , was a Slovene architect who practised in Vienna, Belgrade, Prague and Ljubljana.-Biography:...
(1872 - 1957) - architect.
- Marjan Pogačnik (1920 - 2005) - painter and graphic artist.
- Marjetica PotrčMarjetica PotrcMarjetica Potrč is an artist and architect based in Ljubljana, Slovenia. Her interdisciplinary practice includes on-site projects, research, architectural case studies, and series of drawings...
(1953 - ) - architect and visual artist.
- Marij Pregelj (1913 - 1967) - painter and illustrator.
- Edo Ravnikar (1907 - 1993) - architect.
- France Rotar (1933 - ) - sculptor.
- Miránda RúminaMiranda RuminaMiranda Rumina [miránda rúmina] is a Slovenian Multimedia Artist and Writer.- Life and work :Rumina is painter, sculptor, writer and multimedia artist. She graduated from the Economics Faculty of the University of Ljublana and continued with the study of the English and Italian language with...
(? - ) - multimedia, painter, writer.
- Jakob SavinšekJakob SavinšekJakob Savinšek, was a Slovene sculptor, illustrator and poet.- Life :Savinšek was born in the Upper Carniolan town of Kamnik, then part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes , where he spent his youth. After finishing secondary school in Ljubljana, he studied medicine at the University of...
(1922 - 1961) - sculptor.
- Maksim Sedej (1909 - 1974) - painter.
- Savin Sever (1927 - ) - architect.
- Rudi Simčič (1920 - 2006) - painter.
- Hinko Smrekar (1883 - 1942) - painter and illustrator.
- Lojze Spacal (1907 - 2000) - painter.
- Zora Stančić (1956 -) - graphic artist.
- Matej SternenMatej SternenMatej Sternen was a leading Slovene Impressionist painter.Sternen was born in Verd, now part of the Carniolan municipality of Vrhnika, then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. He attended the secondary school in Krško and attended technical school in Graz between 1888 and 1891...
(1870 - 1949) - painter.
- Gabrijel Stupica (1913 - 1990) - painter.
- Ive Šubic (1922 - 1989) - painter.
- Vladimir ŠubicVladimir ŠubicVladimir Šubic, was a Slovene architect. He was born in Ljubljana, Slovenia, which was at that time part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire...
(1894 - 1946) - architect.
- Slavko Tihec (1928 - 1993) - sculptor.
- Jože Tisnikar (1928 - 1998) - painter.
- Jožef TomincJožef TomincGiuseppe Tominz, also known as Jožef Tominc was a Italian painter who lived and worked in the Austrian Empire and in Italy. He was one of the most prominent Italian and Austrian portraitists of the Biedermeier period. He became renowned for his realistic portraits,...
(1790 - 1866) - painter.
- Fran Tratnik (1881 - 1957) - drawer and painter.
- Drago Tršar (1927 - ) - sculptor.
- Marjan Tršar - (1922 - ) - painter and graphic artist.
- Emi Vega (1953 - ) - painter, illustrator and architect.
- Lujo Vodpivec (1951 - ) - sculptor.
- Ivan VurnikIvan VurnikIvan Vurnik, was a Slovene architect. Together with, Ciril Metod Koch and Jože Plečnik, Vurnik is considered one of the initiators of Slovenian modernist architecture.-Early years:...
(1884 - 1971) - architect and town planner
- Gorazd Satler (1948 - 1993) - painter.
- Janez Zalaznik (1963 - ) - painter.
- Barbara Eva Zavodnik (1975 - ) - designer, graphic artist and paintress.
- List of painters
- List of sculptors
- SloveniaSloveniaSlovenia , officially the Republic of Slovenia , is a country in Central and Southeastern Europe touching the Alps and bordering the Mediterranean. Slovenia borders Italy to the west, Croatia to the south and east, Hungary to the northeast, and Austria to the north, and also has a small portion of...
- list of people by nationality
- list of people by occupation