Katoghike Church, Yerevan
Encyclopedia
Katoghike Church, St. Katoghike, or Holy Mother of God Kathoghike Church is a small medieval Armenian church located in the centre of the Shahar District (presently at the intersection of Abovyan and Sayat-Nova streets), Kentron District
, Yerevan
, Armenia
.
The walls of the Church lacked the usual means of architectural expression, save the khachkars (cross-stones) that appeared on its walls here and there dating back to the years 1679, 1693, 1694, and 1695.
In 1936 the basilica church was being demolished to make way for apartment blocks. During the demolition the almost intact 13th century church was discovered encased within the structure of the latter and, after protests from archaeologists, it was decided to preserve it.
When the basilica was demolished, old khachkars were found in them referring to the years 1472, 1641 and 1642. According to historical studies there had been a church on the same site of the present church traditionally called “St. Astvatsatsin Church”.
The hypothesis related to the existence of this old church was completely confirmed during the demolition of the St. Katoghike Church, when the southern and northern walls to which the two vestries were annexed were opened. The oldest inscriptions found on these walls date back to 1264. There are inscriptions engraved on the western façade dating back to the years 1284, 1229 and to the sixteenth century, whereas on the northern walls the inscriptions refer to the year 1609. Consequently, a chapel has probably been built early in the 17th century at the western side of the St. Astvatsatsin Church at whose site the building of the St. Katoghike Church was erected toward the end of the same century. This finding was significant in that it confirms the conclusion that the St. Astvatsatsin Church was the only one of the churches of Yerevan that survived and stood firm after the earthquake.
The current St. Astvatsatsin Church, which continues to bear the name of “Katoghike”, is relatively of small size (5.4 x 7.5 m). Due to the very limited space it can offer for the required church rituals, it serves only as a chapel and prayer house.
On July 4, 2009, a ground blessing service was conducted by Catholicos Karekin II
for the construction of St. Anna Church and associated complex. The ceremony was attended by President Serzh Sargsyan; President of the Constitutional Court, Gagik Harutyunian; Mayor of Yerevan, Gagik Beglarian; Members of the Brotherhood of Holy Etchmiadzin, Members of the Supreme Spiritual Council national and benefactors Vahakn Hovnanyan and his wife.
The construction costs of the new church and the pontifical residence are being paid for by Hirair Hovnanian, an American Armenian. The St. Anna church is named after his wife. The architect is Vahag Movsesyan. .
The complex has been criticised as being an unnecessary vanity project whose design is unsympathetic and out of scale with the historic Katolike church.
Kentron District
Kentron is a district of Yerevan, the capital of Armenia. It comprises the city center.-Gallery:...
, Yerevan
Yerevan
Yerevan is the capital and largest city of Armenia and one of the world's oldest continuously-inhabited cities. Situated along the Hrazdan River, Yerevan is the administrative, cultural, and industrial center of the country...
, Armenia
Armenia
Armenia , officially the Republic of Armenia , is a landlocked mountainous country in the Caucasus region of Eurasia...
.
History
The surviving church dates from the 13th century. After an earthquake at the end of the 17th century, and between the years 1693-1695, a large basilica church was built on the western side of this church. Built of tufa-stone and cement, it belonged to the three-nave basilica type without a dome. With its prayer hall measuring 14.0 x 19.3 m, and an outside perimeter of 16.4 x 28.4 m, it was perhaps one of the most capacious churches of old Yerevan. The church had entrances on both the southern and western sides.The walls of the Church lacked the usual means of architectural expression, save the khachkars (cross-stones) that appeared on its walls here and there dating back to the years 1679, 1693, 1694, and 1695.
In 1936 the basilica church was being demolished to make way for apartment blocks. During the demolition the almost intact 13th century church was discovered encased within the structure of the latter and, after protests from archaeologists, it was decided to preserve it.
When the basilica was demolished, old khachkars were found in them referring to the years 1472, 1641 and 1642. According to historical studies there had been a church on the same site of the present church traditionally called “St. Astvatsatsin Church”.
The hypothesis related to the existence of this old church was completely confirmed during the demolition of the St. Katoghike Church, when the southern and northern walls to which the two vestries were annexed were opened. The oldest inscriptions found on these walls date back to 1264. There are inscriptions engraved on the western façade dating back to the years 1284, 1229 and to the sixteenth century, whereas on the northern walls the inscriptions refer to the year 1609. Consequently, a chapel has probably been built early in the 17th century at the western side of the St. Astvatsatsin Church at whose site the building of the St. Katoghike Church was erected toward the end of the same century. This finding was significant in that it confirms the conclusion that the St. Astvatsatsin Church was the only one of the churches of Yerevan that survived and stood firm after the earthquake.
The current St. Astvatsatsin Church, which continues to bear the name of “Katoghike”, is relatively of small size (5.4 x 7.5 m). Due to the very limited space it can offer for the required church rituals, it serves only as a chapel and prayer house.
St. Anna Church and Residency Complex
A new religious complex is currently under construction on the north side of the Katoghike church. The controversial development includes a large church, named St. Anna, and a building that will serve as the Yerevan residence of the Catholicos.On July 4, 2009, a ground blessing service was conducted by Catholicos Karekin II
Karekin II
Catholicos Karekin II is the current head of the Holy Armenian Apostolic Church.He was born as Ktrij Nersessian in Voskehat, Armenia, on August 21, 1951. He entered the Gevorkian Theological Seminary at Echmiadzin in 1965 and graduated with honors in 1971. He was ordained to the diaconate deacon...
for the construction of St. Anna Church and associated complex. The ceremony was attended by President Serzh Sargsyan; President of the Constitutional Court, Gagik Harutyunian; Mayor of Yerevan, Gagik Beglarian; Members of the Brotherhood of Holy Etchmiadzin, Members of the Supreme Spiritual Council national and benefactors Vahakn Hovnanyan and his wife.
The construction costs of the new church and the pontifical residence are being paid for by Hirair Hovnanian, an American Armenian. The St. Anna church is named after his wife. The architect is Vahag Movsesyan. .
The complex has been criticised as being an unnecessary vanity project whose design is unsympathetic and out of scale with the historic Katolike church.