(1) Being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the American Civil War
"A Federal infantryman"
(2) Of trade unions
"The union movement"
"A union-shop clause in the contract"
(3) The act of making or becoming a single unit
"The union of opposing factions"
"He looked forward to the unification of his family for the holidays"
(4) The act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes
"The casual couplings of adolescents"
"The mating of some species occurs only in the spring"
(5) A device on a national flag emblematic of the union of two or more sovereignties (typically in the upper inner corner)
(6) The occurrence of a uniting of separate parts
"Lightning produced an unusual union of the metals"
(7) A set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets
"Let C be the union of the sets A and B"
(8) An organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer
"You have to join the union in order to get a job"
(9) A political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations
"The Soviet Union"
(10) The United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War)
"He has visited every state in the Union"
"Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"
"The North's superior resources turned the scale"
(11) Healing process involving the growing together of the edges of a wound or the growing together of broken bones
(12) The state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)
"A long and happy marriage"
"God bless this union"
(13) The state of being joined or united or linked
"There is strength in union"
From union, from , from
- The act of uniting or joining two or more things into one, or the state of being united or joined; junction; coalition; combination.
- That which is united, or made one; something formed by a combination or coalition of parts or members; a confederation; a consolidated body; a league.
- A joint or other connection uniting parts of machinery, such as pipes.
- The set containing all of the elements of two or more sets.
- The act or state of marriage.
- Sexual intercourse.
- A data structure that can store any of various items, but only one at a time.