(1) The words of something written
"There were more than a thousand words of text"
"They handed out the printed text of the mayor's speech"
"He wants to reconstruct the original text"
(2) The main body of a written work (as distinct from illustrations or footnotes etc.)
"Pictures made the text easier to understand"
(3) A book prepared for use in schools or colleges
"His economics textbook is in its tenth edition"
"The professor wrote the text that he assigned students to buy"
(4) A passage from the Bible that is used as the subject of a sermon
"The preacher chose a text from Psalms to introduce his sermon"
From , past participle of
- A writing consisting of multiple glyphs, characters, symbols or sentences.
- A book, tome or other set of writings.
- A brief written message transmitted between mobile phones; an SMS text message.
- Data which can be interpreted as human-readable text (often contrasted with binary data).
- To send a text message to; i.e. to transmit text using the Short Message Service (SMS), or a similar service, between communications devices, particularly mobile phones.
- Just text me when you get here.
- To be occupied for a duration with the act of sending and receiving text messages.
- Have you been texting all afternoon?