(1) The quality of being determined to do or achieve something
"His determination showed in his every movement"
"He is a man of purpose"
(2) What something is used for
"The function of an auger is to bore holes"
"Ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
(3) An anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions
"His intent was to provide a new translation"
"Good intentions are not enough"
"It was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"
"He made no secret of his designs"
(4) Reach a decision
"He resolved never to drink again"
(5) Propose or intend
"I aim to arrive at noon"
From , from , from + , present active infinitive of .
- An object to be reached; a target; an aim; a goal.
- A result that is desired; an intention.
- The act of intending to do something; resolution; determination.
- The subject of discourse; the point at issue.
- The reason for which something is done, or the reason it is done in a particular way.
- (target): aim, goal, object, target
- (intention): aim, plan, intention
- (determination): determination, intention, resolution
- (subject of discourse): matter, subject, topic
- (reason for doing something): reason
- See also Wikisaurus:goal
From , from
- Have set as one's purpose; resolve to accomplish; intend; plan.
- (passive) Designed for some purpose.