(1) The person who is head of state (in several countries)
(2) The person who holds the position of head of the government in England
- In a parliamentary democracy, the chief member of the cabinet and head of the government; usually the leader of the majority party.
- This is a list of all prime ministers since Churchill.
- Yesterday we had a visit from the Prime Minister. (See usage notes.)
- When referring to a particular prime minister, is capitalised:
- The Prime Minister issued a statement today.
- When referring to a prime minister by title and name together, British usage is “the Prime Minister, Tony Blair” or “Tony Blair, the Prime Minister”, while North American usage is “Prime Minister Tony Blair”.