(1) Having substance or capable of being treated as fact; not imaginary
"The substantial world"
"A mere dream, neither substantial nor practical"
"Most ponderous and substantial things"- Shakespeare
(2) Derived from or composed of matter
"The material universe"
(3) Having material or physical form or substance
"That which is created is of necessity corporeal and visible and tangible" - Benjamin Jowett
(4) Directly relevant to a matter especially a law case
"His support made a material difference"
"Evidence material to the issue at hand"
"Facts likely to influence the judgment are called material facts"
"A material witness"
(5) Concerned with or affecting physical as distinct from intellectual or psychological well-being
"The moral and material welfare of all good citizens"- T.Roosevelt
(6) Concerned with worldly rather than spiritual interests
(7) Artifact made by weaving or felting or knitting or crocheting natural or synthetic fibers
"The fabric in the curtains was light and semitransparent"
"Woven cloth originated in Mesopotamia around 5000 BC"
"She measured off enough material for a dress"
(8) Things needed for doing or making something
"Useful teaching materials"
(9) Information (data or ideas or observations) that can be used or reworked into a finished form
"The archives provided rich material for a definitive biography"
(10) A person judged suitable for admission or employment
"He was university material"
"She was vice-presidential material"
(11) The tangible substance that goes into the makeup of a physical object
"Coal is a hard black material"
"Wheat is the stuff they use to make bread"
From material from , from "wood, material, substance" from mater "mother". Displaced native andweorc, andwork "material, matter" (from andweorc "matter, substance, material").
- Having to do with matter.
- This compound has a number of interesting material properties.
- Worldly, as opposed to spiritual.
- Don't let material concerns get in the way of living a good life.
- You've made several material contributions to this project.
- This is the most material fact in this lawsuit.
- Matter which may be shaped or manipulated, particularly in making something.
- Asphalt, composed of oil and sand, is a widely used material for roads.
- Cloth to be made into a garment.
- You'll need about a yard of material to make this.
- Things written to be performed.
- We were a warm-up act at the time; we didn't have enough original material to headline.
- A person who is qualified for a certain position or activity.
- Joe Manchin is a great governor, and I also believe he is presidential material.