(1) The learned profession that is mastered by graduate study in a law school and that is responsible for the judicial system
"He studied law at Yale"
(2) A rule or body of rules of conduct inherent in human nature and essential to or binding upon human society
(3) A generalization that describes recurring facts or events in nature
"The laws of thermodynamics"
(4) The branch of philosophy concerned with the law and the principles that lead courts to make the decisions they do
(5) Legal document setting forth rules governing a particular kind of activity
"There is a law against kidnapping"
(6) The force of policemen and officers
"The law came looking for him"
(7) The collection of rules imposed by authority
"Civilization presupposes respect for the law"
"The great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
- A diminutive of Lawrence.
- , perhaps originally meaning someone who lives near a burial mound.
- a conical hill