(1) Being or producing something like nothing done or experienced or created before
"Stylistically innovative works"
"Innovative members of the artistic community"
"A mind so innovational, so original"
(2) The ceremonial breaking of the ground to formally begin a construction project
From ground + break + -ing, reminiscent of the practice of breaking ground at the beginning of a new building or construction.
- Innovative; new, different; doing something that has never been done before.
- The latest model includes several groundbreaking features and improvements.
- A ceremony to mark the beginning of construction.
- The point at which construction begins.