(1) Being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces fertilizable gametes (ova) from which offspring develop
"A female heir"
"Female holly trees bear the berries"
(2) For or pertaining to or composed of women or girls
"The female lead in the play"
"A female chorus"
(3) Characteristic of or peculiar to a woman
(4) An animal that produces gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes (spermatozoa)
(5) A person who belongs to the sex that can have babies
From , from , from , diminutive of . The English spelling was remodelled under the influence of male, to which female is not etymologically related.
- Belonging or referring to the sex which is generally characterized as the one associated with the larger gametes (for species which have two sexes and for which this distinction can be made).
- Having an internal socket, as in a connector or pipe fitting.
- Someone of feminine sex or gender.
- Something of feminine sex or gender.