(1) Being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that perform the fertilizing function in generation
"A male infant"
"A male holly tree"
(2) For or pertaining to or composed of men or boys
"The male lead"
"The male population"
(3) Characteristic of a man
"A deep male voice"
(4) An animal that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that can fertilize female gametes (ova)
(5) The capital of Maldives in the center of the islands
(6) A person who belongs to the sex that cannot have babies
, borrowed from Old French , (Modern French ), from Latin , diminutive of .
- Belonging or referring to the sex which is generally characterized as having the smaller gametes (for species which have two sexes and for which this distinction can be made) which fertilize the female-produced eggs.
- having an external plug which penetrates the female counterpart, as in a connector or pipe fitting.