(1) The act of protesting; a public (often organized) manifestation of dissent
(2) A difference of opinion
(3) (law) the difference of one judge's opinion from that of the majority
"He expressed his dissent in a contrary opinion"
(4) Withhold assent
"Several Republicans dissented"
(5) Be of different opinions
"I beg to differ!"
"She disagrees with her husband on many questions"
(6) Express opposition through action or words
"Dissent to the laws of the country"
- Disagreement with the ideas, doctrines, decrees, etc. of a political party, government or religion.
- An act of disagreeing with, or deviating from, the views and opinions of those holding authority.