(1) Systematic investigation to establish facts
(2) A search for knowledge
"Their pottery deserves more research than it has received"
(3) Inquire into
"The students had to research the history of the Second World War for their history project"
"He searched for information on his relatives on the web"
"Scientists are exploring the nature of consciousness"
(4) Attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner
"The student researched the history of that word"
From obsolete French recercher (to search closely), from Old French re-+cerchier (to search).
- Diligent inquiry or examination to seek or revise facts, principles, theories, applications, et cetera; laborious or continued search after truth.
- A particular instance or piece of research.
- to search or examine with continued care; to seek diligently.
- to make an extensive investigation into.
- to search again.