(1) Defeat soundly
"The home team demolished the visitors"
(2) Put to death
"The customs agents destroyed the dog that was found to be rabid"
(3) Destroy completely; damage irreparably
"You have ruined my car by pouring sugar in the tank!"
"The tears ruined her make-up"
(4) Do away with, cause the destruction or undoing of
"The fire destroyed the house"
From destroyen, from destruire, from Vulgar Latin destrugere, an alteration of destruere, itself from de- 'un-' + struere 'to build'
- The earthquake destroyed several apartment complexes.
- To cause destruction.
- Hooligans destroy unprovoked
- To neutralize, undo a property or condition.
- Smoking destroys the natural subtlety of the palet
- To put down or euthanize.
- Destroying rabid dog is imposed by law.
- To defeat soundly.
- To remove data.
- The memory leak happened because we forgot to destroy the temporary lists.