(1) Using force to cause something
"Though pressed into rugby under compulsion I began to enjoy the game"
"They didn`t have to use coercion"
(2) An urge to do or say something that might be better left undone or unsaid
(3) An irrational motive for performing trivial or repetitive actions against your will
From < ; see compel.
- An irrational need to perform some action, often despite negative consequences.
- During the basketball game, I had a sudden compulsion to have a smoke.
- The use of authority, influence, or other power to force (compel) a person or persons to act.
- The lawful use of violence (i.e. by the administration).