General council may refer to:
In politics and government:
In other fields:
- General Council (Scottish university)General Council (Scottish university)The General Council of an ancient university in Scotland is the corporate body of all graduates and senior academics of each university. They were instituted by the Universities Act 1858, but each has had its constitution and organisation considerably altered by subsequent statutes.The Act of...
, an advisory body to each of the ancient universities of Scotland
- General Council of the University of St Andrews, the corporate body of all graduates and senior academics of the University of St Andrews
- General Dental CouncilGeneral Dental CouncilThe General Dental Council is a United Kingdom organisation which regulates all dental professionals in the country. Established in 1956 by an amendment to the Dentists Act 1948, now updated in the Dentists Act 1984, it keeps an up-to-date register of all qualified dentists and other dental care...
, a United Kingdom organisation which regulates all dental professionals in the country
- General Medical CouncilGeneral Medical CouncilThe General Medical Council registers and regulates doctors practising in the United Kingdom. It has the power to revoke or restrict a doctor's registration if it deems them unfit to practise...
, the regulator of the medical profession in the United Kingdom
- General Optical CouncilGeneral Optical CouncilThe General Optical Council is an organisation in the United Kingdom which was set up by the Opticians Act 1958 to maintain a register of opticians and to uphold the Act. Its purpose is to regulate the services provided by opticians and optometrists...
, an organisation in the United Kingdom that regulates opticians and optometrists
In politics and government:
- Crow Tribal General Council, a tribal assembly comprising all enrolled members of the Crow Nation
- General Council of BucharestGeneral Council of BucharestThe General Council of Bucharest is the legislative body of the Municipality of Bucharest, and is made up of 55 councillors elected every four years...
, the legislative body of the Municipality of Bucharest
- General councils of France, the legislative bodies of the departments of France
- General Council of MayotteGeneral Council of MayotteMayotte elects on territorial level a legislature. The General Council has 19 members, elected for a three year term in single seat constituencies.- Presidents of the General Council:* Younoussa Bamana : 6 July 1977 – March 1991...
, a legislature
- General Council of Saint-Pierre and MiquelonGeneral Council of Saint-Pierre and MiquelonThe Territorial Council is the legislative branch of the government of the French territory. It was previously known as General Council , but the name was changed into Territorial Council by the French law of February 22, 2007 which also increased the council's powers.The Territorial Council...
, a dependency legislature
- General Council of ScotlandGeneral Council of ScotlandGeneral Council in medieval Scotland was a sister institution to parliament that existed between the late fourteenth century and the early sixteenth century. It has been argued to be almost indistinguishable from parliament, and has always been treated together with parliament by historians...
, late 14th century - early 16th century, a sister institution to the Scots Parliament
- General Council (Andorra), the unicameral parliament of Andorra
- Grand and General CouncilGrand and General CouncilThe Grand and General Council is the parliament of San Marino. The council has 60 members elected for a five-year term.The electoral law was based on proportional representation from 1945 to 2007. Since then, it is based on the electoral system of Italian municipalities...
, the parliament of San Marino
- General Council (TUC), a decision body of the Trades Union Congress which meets every two months
- General Council (WTO), the highest decision-making body after the Ministerial Conference in the World Trade Organization
In other fields:
- General Council (Lutheran)General Council (Lutheran)The General Council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in North America was a conservative Lutheran church body, formed as a reaction against the new "Americanized Lutheranism" of Samuel Simon Schmucker and the General Synod....
, a Lutheran church body, in existence from 1867-1918
- General council (Christianity), a meeting of the bishops of a whole church convened to discuss and settle matters of church doctrine
- General Council of the Judicial Power of SpainGeneral Council of the Judicial Power of SpainThe General Council of the Judiciary is the constitutional body that governs all the Judiciary of Spain, such as courts, and judges, as it is established by the Spanish Constitution of 1978, article 122 and developed by the Organic Law 6/1985 of the Judiciary Power...
, the autonomous institution which governs all the judicial instances of Spain
- General Social Care CouncilGeneral Social Care CouncilThe General Social Care Council is a the regulator of social workers and social work students in England. The GSCC protects the public by requiring high standards of education, conduct and practice of social workers by ensuring that only those who are properly trained and committed to high...
, a public body which has responsibility for registering and regulating social workers and social care workers